Wednesday, August 17, 2011

French Fries

Alrighty. Yesterday, K had some potatoes to use up and I wanted some fries anyway. Seriously. I had just woken up from a nap. (I take a lot of those.) I looked across the room at K, who was standing there talking to J, And I said, "I want french fries" and then a second later, "But I can't get up." K found it all amusing. I guess you had to be there.
Anyway, this recipe, is a combination of one from my uncle and my own experimenting. Or maybe it's all his. I don't remember.

So, on to the joy.

The stuff:
Russet (I think) Potatoes- I love french fries, so I'd do 2 big ones for just me
Salt
Veggie Oil (Of your preferred variety)
A bowl with enough water to cover potatoes
Other fun ingredients are any old (or new) spices and/or cheese

How to's:
1. Wash the taters. If you're weird and don't like skins for some reason, now is the time to peel those off
2. Cut the potatoes into french fry shapes.
My favorite way to do this is cut them in half long ways (this way you get long fries) then cut them in discs (that's the best word I came up with it) going from the outside edge inwards. Then cut those discs into strips. Those are your fries. Try to make them all about the same thickness, or else you get crazy in the cooking with some burning and some not getting done.
As you cut the taters, throw them in the bowl with water. Make sure there's always enough water to cover them. It's not a bad idea to stir them around every once in a while.
3. You'll want to use a baking sheet with edges. So, like one of those other fancy kinds is not a great idea.
Pour some oil on the pan and kind of move the pan around so the oil runs all over. Don't worry about covering the whole pan. It will happen. Also, if you're nervous, go skimpy on the oil. You can always add more if you need it.
Dry off the potatoes. A few paper towels work well for this. I usually just grab a hand full and rub them off for a second. Then, throw them on the oily pan. Add some salt. Once again, you can always add more later. Now is a great time to add other seasonings, if you're into that. Toss it all around. I love getting my hands involved.
4. Once all the potatoes are on the pan, bake them in the oven. For me, 425 works. I just do 15 minutes at first, stir them. Taste them. Put them back in for 10 minutes. Stir and check again. In my experience, with the size I cut my fries, It usually takes about 35 to 45 minutes. I like mine with some crunch and some really soggy parts. It's really up to you.
5. If you want to add cheese, wait until they're all cooked. Spread some shredded cheese around. Turn the oven off and stick the fries back in the warm oven for maybe 3 to 5 minutes. Just watch it. Cheese should be gooey, not crispy.

No comments:

Post a Comment